MetroPCS is known for two things – cheap monthly service and low-cost devices. But most times that low-cost comes at the expensive of both features and quality. The carriers latest device is looking to walk the line between great specs and low price. And that device is the LG Motion 4G. At $149.99 at its highest, the Motion 4G sure meets the cheap price mark but with a dual-core CPU is aims to buck that “low-cost, meh specs” thing. Check out my first impressions!
- The LG Motion 4G is a small phone. Even with a 3.5 inch display is it smaller than phones with 3.2 inch screens(namely the LG Optimus One). I was almost shocked when I took it out of the box just based on the size.
- One area where the LG Motion 4G does not fall short on is style. It is not the sexiest phone out there by any means. But it is rather easy on the eyes. The build quality here is not cheap despite being constructed out of plastic. It has a good heft to it and feels solid. I like the piano black bezel with the silver trim around the display. And the rear is textures slightly so it feels comfortable to hold.
- The screen is where you will lose out the most when it comes to that price. It is not all bad though. The LG Motion 4G features a 3.5 inch IPS screen at a resolution of 480 x 320. So we are not talking about the best phone for watching HD video. But the colors and viewing angles on the screen are more than acceptable.
- Out of the box you are already going to be the envy of update junkies. I say that because the LG Motion 4G ships with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. This version is far from stock though. You have a LG UX over it so unless you go to the About screen you would probably not know ICS is on-board. The UX on this one is almost exactly like the one found on the LG Vu – minus the larger, wider display and stylus functionality. But you do have QuickMemo on it! So far I am really liking that feature.
- Something interesting to know; you can use the LG Motion 4G as a Mobile Hotspot. Man, Mobile Hotspot and Visual Voicemail….not bad MetroPCS….not bad at all.
- The Motion 4G sports a 1.3 megapixel camera up front and a 5 megapixel one around back. The rear camera can capture full HD video(1920 x 1080). As far as performance goes I have to say I am surprisingly impressed so far.
- Taking residence inside the LG Motion 4G is a 1.2GHz dual-core CPU. You would think that at $149.99 you would be getting and older dual-core chipset here. Well, you would be wrong. This has a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 SoC – no that different from the one found in the Galaxy S3, HTC One S, or the EVO 4G LTE. There is also 1GB of RAM packed in this tiny smartphone.
More to comes on the LG Motion 4G in the coming weeks!